Donald O. Chesworth
Don serves both local and international law enforcement communities while engaged in private law practice. His areas of concentration are real estate, general business and municipal liability.
Donald O. Chesworth was admitted to the bar in Connecticut in 1966 and in New York in 1972. He is no longer active in the Connecticut bar. He is admitted to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Chesworth graduated from Graceland College, magnum cum laude in 1963 and from Yale Law School with a Juris Doctor’s degree in 1966. He is a member of the Monroe County Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Mr. Chesworth served in the FBI after graduation from law school in 1966 and began his private practice with the law firm of Goldstein, Goldman, Kessler and Underberg, now known as Underberg & Kessler in 1972. In 1976, Mr. Chesworth became the Second Assistant District Attorney of Monroe County. In 1977 he was promoted to First Assistant District Attorney and was appointed District Attorney in 1981 by Governor Hugh Carey. He ran for office as District Attorney in 1981 and was elected to a full term. In 1983 Governor Mario Cuomo appointed Mr. Chesworth Superintendent of the New York State Police.
In January of 1987, Mr. Chesworth returned to private practice and became the Managing Partner of Goldstein, Goldman, Kessler & Underberg. In 1990 Mr. Chesworth joined the law firm of Harris, Evans, Fox & Chesworth. That same year he was appointed Chairman of the Temporary State Commission of Investigation (State Crime Commission) which he chaired until 1996. In 1993 he founded the firm of Harris & Chesworth with Wayne Harris, which was the predecessor firm to Harris, Chesworth, O’Brien, Johnstone & Welch, LLP.
While actively involved in law practice, Mr. Chesworth has been involved in many charitable civic organizations including the local Chambers of Commerce, The Rochester Humane Society, Rochester Area Crime Stoppers, The New York State Troopers Foundation and Lifespan.
Mr. Chesworth has maintained his relationships with Law Enforcement and is counsel to the Monroe County Chiefs of Police and is the legal advisor to the State & Provincial Division of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
His law practice is concentrated in governmental compliance, business law, municipal liability, commercial law, employment law and management issues.
- Member, Monroe County, New York State and American Bar Associations
- Associate Member, International Association of Chiefs of Police and New York State Association of Chiefs of Police
- Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation (1966-1972)
- Assistant District Attorney, Monroe County (1976-1981)
- District Attorney, Monroe County (1981-1983)
- Superintendent, New York State Police (1983-1986)
- Chairman, New York State Temporary Commission of Investigation (1990-January, 1996)
- Board Member, Upstate National Bank (1996-Present)
- Harris, Chesworth, Johnstone & Welch, LLP (2015-Present)
- Harris, Chesworth, O’Brien, Johnstone & Welch, LLP (2004-2015)
- Harris, Chesworth & O’Brien (1993-2003)
- Harris, Evans, Fox & Chesworth (1990-1993)
- Underberg & Kessler, LLP (1972-1975 and 1987-1990)
- Member, Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Humane Society for Rochester and Monroe County (1987- 2003 and 2004 to Present); Treasurer (2005-2006) and President of the Board (1997-1999)
- Member Board of Directors Trooper Foundation (1987-1990 and 2001-Present)
- Member Board of Directors Rochester Crimestoppers (2001-Present)
- Member, Surrogate Decision Making Committee, New York State Commission on Quality of Care (2001-Present)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Lifespan (2005-2014)
- Member of the Board of the Rochester Sailing and Boating Foundation, Inc. (2009-present)
www.rochestercommunityboating.org :: Rochester Community Boating on LinkedIn :: on Facebook
- Counsel to Monroe County Association of Chiefs of Police (1987-Present)
- Legal Advisor, IACP, Division of State and Provincial Police (1987- Present), Parliamentarian (2000 and at annual meeting in 2008)