Edward M. O’Brien
Ted represents a wide spectrum of individual, business, and municipal clients. The practice of real estate and mortgage lending, business law, and municipal law makes up the bulk of Ted’s practice.
- Member, Monroe County Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Law Section
- Member, Banking Law Liaison Committee
- Member/Arbitrator, Seventh Judicial District Arbitration Program
- Harris, Chesworth, O'Brien, Johnstone & Welch, LLP and predecessor firms (1991 to Present)
- Underberg & Kessler (1986-1991)
- Moot & Sprague (1984-1986)
- O'Brien & O'Brien (1983-1984)
- Member, New York State Senate (2013 to present)
- Monroe County Legislator, District 17 (Irondequoit) (2004-2012)
Member, Irondequoit Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Heritage Christian Services, Inc. Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Heritage Christian Services Foundation Board
- Member, SUNY Brockport College Council
- Past Chair, Monroe County Democratic Committee (2000–2002)
- Member, American Cancer Society Advisory Board
- Minority Leader, Monroe County Legislature, (2010-2012)
- East Irondequoit Schools Facilities Study Committee
- Lecturer, Real Estate and Environmental Law
- Contributing Author, New York Environmental Law - Practical Skills (N.Y.S. Bar Association, 1992)
- City of Rochester Bi-Racial Partnership for Community Progress
Edward M. "Ted" O'Brien was admitted to the bar in New York in 1983. He is admitted to U.S. Bankruptcy Court, in the Western District of New York.
Mr. O'Brien graduated from Union College in 1979, and from Syracuse University College of Law with a Juris Doctor degree in 1982.
Mr. O'Brien worked as an associate attorney with the law firms of Moot & Sprague, and Goldstein, Goldman, Kessler & Underberg, now known as Underberg & Kessler, LLP. In 1993, Mr. O'Brien was a founding partner of the law firm of Harris & Chesworth, soon to be known as Harris Chesworth & O'Brien, which was the predecessor firm of Harris, Chesworth, O'Brien, Johnstone & Welch, LLP.
Ted was elected as a Member of the New York State Senate, serving from 2013 to present. Ted served as a member of the Monroe County Legislature, from 2004 to 2012. In 2010, he was selected by his peers to serve as Minority Leader. Ted also served on the Legislature's Ways and Means and Transportation committees. Prior to serving in the Legislature, Ted served for three years as Chair of the Monroe County Democratic Committee, beginning in 2000.
Ted has been actively involved in a number of charitable and civic organizations. Ted volunteers as a member of the Board of Directors of Heritage Christian Services, serving people with developmental disabilities, and is former chairman of the HCS Foundation Board. Ted also serves as a member of the American Cancer Society's Advisory Board.
In 2008, then Governor Spitzer appointed Ted to serve as a Trustee on the SUNY College at Brockport College Council. He is a member of the Irondequoit Chamber of Commerce, and has served as a member of the East Irondequoit School's Facilities Study Committee.
His law practice includes concentrations in real estate and mortgage banking transactions, commercial law, business law, municipal law, and election law.